Monday, October 23, 2006

My Own Vintage Clothing Fashion Magazine ,the Halloween issue

Ask most kooky fashion obsessed,Performing Arts Providers,living in the DFW area in the early nineties what their favorite thing about Halloween was ,and you might be surprised at their answer. Nope it was NOT dressing up like Marlo Thomas and flying a kite ala "That Girl"and then prancing about on Cedar Springs(althought that might have been this P.A.P's 2nd choice).It was Not practicing your best Edie Sedgewick make-up for disco dancing at the Stark club.The absolute YUMMIEST thing about the OOKIEST season for me, was being among the 1st to peruse the Halloween inventory at Thrift Towne in Arlington.I waited all year long for the amazing goodies they would put out at Halloween. If you were focused and lucky you could purchase your entire wardrobe for the whole year,plus gifties for your freinds.
I guess its kinda funny,what the pricing folks at T-Towne viewed as costumes ,I called everyday wear.
So many fabulous frocks for SO little money.I remember a white lace 50's prom dress,that I tacked up on the wall as art only to later take it down, put it on a borrowed mannequin, string it with lights, and decorate it as a Christmas tree( the net took ornament hooks very well).There was the floor length black velvet opera coat from the 30's for 3 bucks that only lasted 1 season because I wore the poor delecate thing as my winter coat.Patchwork leather jackets,platform shoes,lots of lacey stuff ,square dance dresses,cowboy boots,vintage hand bags and hats.
I find it amazing being the hoarder that I am that I have so few of those pieces left.The above ensem. will probably be my Halloween weekend outfit.I'll be at the theatre to see Crooked Halo in "Footloose"(everybody cut, everybody cut).The deco-ish clutch bag WAS a T-Towne Halloween purchase it still has the orange tag in it for 69 cents (sentiment prevents me from removing it).The dress is from my fave vintage clothing store Ahab Bowen.
Heres a close-up of the print of the dress, the purse and the interesting shaped collar on the dress(click on the image for a detailed view).
For accesories I might add this coiled snake ring (inherited from my grandma)and perhaps this stone tiki bracelet,thoughtfully modeled by the Wolfman whom I thought I had misplaced.
Here is another T-towne treasure. A silk full moon print Vera shirt.I almost always wear this at some point during the Halloween season,but I think I have hoisted 1 too many babys in it, its begining to tear at the arm holes,and alas not the seams but the fabric itself.
Lastly, I think Halloween is the best time of the year to sport otherwise,even questionable for me, jewelry.Frida is modeling an utterly unique pewter cameo pendant,also from T-towne.Allright I confess.I wear that neclace all the time,but can you imagine how I pounced on it,right through the glass jewel display case? Ah,that was a good day at the thrift store.
Here is a close-up of the art deco jeweled locust pin. The blue body is glass and its wings also have little glass jewels adorning them.Where did that thing come from you may ask? From my Grandma,she had some delicious goodies and now so many of them are mine.The pin doesn't stay fastened so well anymore and the last 2 times I wore it I lost it.
Each time I drove back to the location I assumed it fell off,and sure enough there it was.

9 comments:

Jennifer W. said...

Wow - you have such an amazing sense of style! I would feel fortunate to own just one of those great items...

There was a thrift store similar to the one you described where I went to college. They put out the most amazing clothes around Halloween (in their minds, costume-y). I didn't really have the guts to wear that kind of stuff then, but at least one girl on campus stocked up, and definitely showed up us Gap types with her wonderful vintage frocks.

Rebecca said...

That locust pin is so unique! I love it! And I love that dress, too, and the jewerly. Oh, and the bag! It's great that you have "the eye" for putting out fits like this together. I'm SOOO not good at that.

Heidi said...

I always thought that Halloween was bad for thrifters: more competition, as non-thrifters hit the shops for costumes. But I didn't realize some shops save stuff to put out at Halloween...

miss vintage love said...

LOVE that dress, ooh and I love the little wolfman too, he's adorable!

Jodi Ohl said...

I have a shirt similiar to that dress and I bought it recently..lol...I love the colors and great purse for under 1.00! I wish I had an eye to put a more vintagey look to my wardrobe. Great cameo, too!

Unknown said...

That dress is SO cool! I adore it, and the bag looks great with it. That Vera shirt is really gorgeous--I didn't know she did clothing too. Beautiful stuff!

Anonymous said...

*Every* single peice is just lovely. You have the greatest sense of style!!!! You are definitely inspiring me to look at my own wardrobe with fresh eyes! :)

StephenMosher said...

Anna Wintour's got nothin on you, baby!

xoste

S. said...

I love the clutch! Hope I score something like it. (as if I don't have enough vintage handbags)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin