Monday, September 18, 2006

My Own Vintage Clothing Fashion Magazine


When I was a child my parents loved visiting Colorado in the summer to get out of the Texas heat. Mind you, it was NOT for skiing or some other hi-falutin' activity. My parents loved the simplicity of going camping. Even as an obedient daughter, camping was NOT my cup of tea. Thus, I find it a bit ironic that while traveling on one of these rustic events, I stumbled upon one of my life-long passions. The town was called Cripple Creek and my memory of it is very dim. What I do remember is going to some antique/junk store, and while shopping there, my eyes fell upon a black silk blouse from the early 1900's. It had leg-o-mutton sleeves and I was in love. The price was 5.00 ( I think I had been given a budget of 10.00 to spend for the whole trip). Now, I was a tiny thing and that blouse was not going to fit me for a couple of years...at least. I bought it anyway, along with a celery green, lace-trimmed, bed jacket for 3.00. That's how it all began, my complete and total devotion to vintage clothes.
As I sit here typing,what am I wearing? Say it with me...vintage clothes. Believe me, I am not immune to trends or a few retail items. In fact, my almost encyclopedic knowledge of fashion designers tends to fall in the nerdly category, or at least the category of useless flotsam and jetsam floatin' around in my noggin. Honestly, I couldn't wait to get skinny jeans this fall, its just that I PREFER items with a bit of history and patina. As my closet began to overflow with these garments, I wondered, why is there not a fashion magazine devoted to this subject? Today, I still ponder that question.  Ah, but today, I shall remedy that situation.... as I bring you.....
My Own Vintage Clothing Fashion Magazine.The above pony detail is from a vintage wool felted circle skirt from the 50's. I snapped it up 2 days ago at an estate sale for 2 dollars....and... it just fits!  I paired it with thrifted black cowboy boots, a black cardigan with silver embroidery and rhinestone buttons, inherited from my Grandmother.I could not resist adding my Frida Kahlo bottlecap necklace(you may click on any image to enlarge). Lastly, I will carry my black tooled leather clutch for: read with DuBois-esque accent-Change for a lemon coke with plenty of chipped ice, red lipstick, and my cellphone.
One last ironic tid-bit. I never did wear that leg-o-mutton sleeved blouse. After finally growing into it, the delicate old thing disintegrated as I attempted to wear it with a lovely velvet pencil skirt.
She shall never be forgotten.

3 comments:

StephenMosher said...

You would be such a great editor of a fashion mag.

It's a great dream...
xoste

miss vintage love said...

That outfit is GORGEOUS. Love the yellow & black together.

Rebecca said...

I think you'd have a fabulous fashion mag! I can't believe that skirt was only $2!! You have a gift for the finds and for creating outfits. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin