Wednesday, February 28, 2007

My Own Vintage Clothing Fashion Magazine, February

Tis the last day of February and in honor of the month of la'mour,I wanted to share my collection of vintage bedjackets,and how I believe they look so much better OUT of the bedroom.When I think of an original use for a bedjacket,I immediately picture Myrna Loy(starring in a Thin Man film) having a glamorous breakfast in bed. I am fairly certain,however, that she never pictured wearing them as I wear my bedjackets,AND you can STILL find them at the thrift stores if your looking!
I love to pair something soft and feminine with somthing rough and worn,which makes bedjackets and cowboy boots the perfect pair in my world of style! Add a dark denim overall dress and you have the perfect canvas for a multitude of girliness to heap on top without looking like you have gone too far overboard(isn't more sometimes best!).This first bedjacket is the softest and sheerest of pinks and looks to me like angel wings. I have had it for years and remember paying less than a dollar for it at the Thrift.Underneath the denim I used the sheer caramel blouse inherited from my Great Aunt Margaret. The light caramel is a great color stepping stone between the dark denim and the sheer pink.Going with my something delicate + something rough = something fantastic ,equasion, I have added this tooled leather purse once owned by someone named Lavada(I bet I have carried it more than her!). There are beautiful thorny roses tooled all around on this purse(if you click on any image you will enlarge the pic).My tooled leather collection is rather large and deserves a post of its own,hmmm, someday.
I finished my adornment with a pearl beaded collar from the 50's and a favorite portrait brooch,also thrifted.

Another fabulous silouhuette for this swing type bedjacket is pairing it with skinny jeans and a Stanley Kowalski undershirt(I buy the undershirts by the half dozen at the dollar store).
This jacket is a beautiful peach with an ecru lace overlay,inherited from my Grandmas things.I very simply added a rhinestone brooch and graduated pearls. For my shoes,this time its vintage brown suede pumps,the brand oh so charmingly dubbed "Glamour Debs".



If the nice weather holds out here ,this is what I shall wear to the theatre atleast one night this week.White sheer bedjacket(also inherited from Grandma),Kowalski undershirt,gold beaded collar from India,vintage cameo,long gold chain with pearl beads,and matinee length pearls. Add to that a wee white beaded bag!




If it happens to turn cold again ,this is my bedjacket look of the week. Thrifted overalls with thrifted shrimp pink quilted bed jacket ,thrifted white vintage sweater,and thrifted tooled leather belt with fabulous buckle! The Calvin Klien overalls are super easy to find at the thrift ,they have little belt loops and sometimes its fun to belt ,for a different look. My adornment this time is a vintage set given to me by my mother. Pink flwers with rhinestone centers repeated over and over with gold little leaves. Because of the repetition of the flowers motif there is no competion with the big belt buckle,its just like wearing pearls or a chain.As my little helper is showing you ,it also has matching earings!




My last bit of vintage clothing fun this month ,is to show you the dress I decided on for the awards show. A black floral damask 60's cocktail dress with cutouts in the sleeves ,from my favorite vintage clothing store Ahab Bowen,perhaps we should take a field trip there next month? Hmmm,we'll see.

The complete collection of MOVCFM:
September
October
November
December
January

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love the second ensemble! the bed jacket with the jeans and black pumps is beautiful! maybe thats where i have gone wrong...no bed jackets, so no breakfast in bed for me! i gotta get me some of those! LOL! all the outfits are great and you look lovely, all ready for the awards!

Vallen said...

You are very clever at this vintage stuff. Stunning collection. Bed jackets are a favorite of mine but I usually wear them to bed. I love the frou-frou ness of them with the denim.

Michelle Legler said...

This is absolutely my favorite part about your blog!!!!!!!!!! You are one talented chic!!!!!!!!

Sarah and Jack said...

Argh, blogger hates me! Anyway, I always pass those things up because I never know what to do with them. I Love what you have done with them!

Timothy Hogan said...

I love a penoir with denim. Too bad I get such strange looks on the bus when I wear them!

kisses!

Unknown said...

Well, now I want a bed jacket! I don't think I've ever seen one when I've been thrifting, but I don't usually look at the lingerie/pjs section where they'd probably be located. I may need to change that strategy! I think the second one (the swing) is my favorite. Love your ensembles!

stilettoheights said...

OMG what a wonderful idea, I never thought to wear the little bed jackets like that, see this is why you are forever cooler than I am.

also, that black dress just makes me ache all over.

Peta said...

I love your clothes, the bed jackets are gorgeous. You have a real talent for putting clothes together.

StephenMosher said...

oh my GOD you look amazing!!!!

love ya
ste

Anonymous said...

How wonderful they are, those tender bed coats...I love the jeans and the wife beater tank and the heels.. You are a doll!! You are you are!!! I still can't get over your hair...Everytime I see it!! WOW. Your girls are going to have those Hollywood movie memories of watching in awe as their gorgeous Mommy got dolled up to go on stage or just dolled up on an every day basis. Delightful!!

Anonymous said...

My dear heart, you have a GIFT! I swear, you need to do a big, glossy super-swanky coffee table book a fashion!!!!!!IT would be divine. I never even IMAGINED a bed jacket as an outgarment (how lame coming from someone who loves corsets!) You are just too stunning! And you DEFINITELY have a gift for style.

eb said...

lovely, lovely, lovely, lovely

oh so lovely

xox - eb.

Anonymous said...

The peach number made of lace with the ribbon through the sleeves- MY MOM has that one and it is one of the things I want most from her or of hers when she is gone to be cranky with Saint Pete! I love your outfits and the black cocktail dress is perfect! You keep rockin sisthah! Wish I could see your play!.... sssxn proves I'm not a robot!!!!!maybe a snack...but not a robotic snake....

Anastasia said...

wow everything is beautiful!!!!
love all those soft feminine jackets...I saw something similar the other day for over $100...and that was 75% off as well!!
You look stunning in that black number - a great cut!!

Anonymous said...

I am all about these outfits!

You should see the little old lady handbag I picked up yesterday. Next week I'll blog it ;) Along with a pettycoat underskirt thingy I'm considering wearing as a skirt. I think one of those bed jackets would be perfect with it.

mary jane said...

Excellent choice for the Awards! You look fabulous! I do love your hall-floor fit model too, she's so...well flat...but wears the clothes well!

Anonymous said...

Hello! I stumbled onto your site via Vanessa's blog... I loove the bed jacket looks! I immediately went to ebay in search of- and at the same time racking my brain for a local vintage store that might have something... Then I finished reading your post- Ahab Bowen? hahaha- I live in Dallas, too! Pandemonium also popped into my mind. It smells funny there- but they have great finds sometimes.

Gina said...

BEautiful! And that pic of you, you are a living doll!

gilfling said...

Oh those bed jackets are incredible!!! Such style and the details are beautiful. I feel a vintage shopping trip must be had very soon for me!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you, I am not searching for bed jackets every time I go into a thrift or vintage store. Just what I needed, another obsession to fill my tiny closet!

Anonymous said...

WOWOWOWWOW I love the second ensemble, too. There's something about that bed jacket - it looks like it should be framed or something. Great post, JDP!!!!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

You really make me laugh! I love it with jeans!!

Anonymous said...

did I tell you how much I love these bed jackets and your endearing and sensuous sense of style?

xox - eb.

S. said...

Those bed jackets are lovely and so are you in that dress!

I remember the first time I heard of a bed jacket I laughed so hard and made fun of the very notion! You've put them to great use.

Rebecca said...

I love bed jackets! When I first started thrifting I always bought them. That was before EBay when there seemed to be much more vintage in the thrift if you know what I mean. Fabulous collection darling, oh so chic.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I LOVE bedjackets! I have some that I've not done anything with because I wasn't sure what to do with them. Not anymore. I am pulling those suckers out! I have a lovely pale peach one that I MUST send you a photo of. Delicious!

What are these t-shirts that you mentioned? I have been in dire need of a good brand of white undershirts. Please do tell!

xo,

Karen Beth

Angelina said...

I've come a little late to this post, but I really enjoyed it. I had a collection of bed jackets too, but when I gained too much weight to wear them I gave most of them away. I don't wear denim , but I agree with you that it's a great look to mix rough with the ethereal, I used to wear my bed jackets with work boots and pants.

This looked like an In-Style spread. Only better for all the vintage.

Angelina said...

I've come a little late to this post, but I really enjoyed it. I had a collection of bed jackets too, but when I gained too much weight to wear them I gave most of them away. I don't wear denim , but I agree with you that it's a great look to mix rough with the ethereal, I used to wear my bed jackets with work boots and pants.

This looked like an In-Style spread. Only better for all the vintage.

Anonymous said...

I was looking for Scarves and was wondering if Love Quotes is the best designer for Scarves?

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I mostly visits this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here jungledreampagoda.blogspot.com. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Research presents that almost 60% of all United States adults are either chubby or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am blogger of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin